BASIC FIRE SAFETY - Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service
- Test your smoke alarm every week
- Don't overload electrical sockets
- Don't charge phones/devices overnight
- Use washers, dryers, and dishwashers during the day when you are at home
- Do not leave cooking unattended
- Keep kitchens clean and tidy
- Keep scarves, long hair and loose clothing away from cooking flames and pans
- Switch ovens and hobs off after use
- Keep exits and stairs clear and free from clutter
- Make sure candles and cigarettes are properly extinguished
- No smoking in bed
- Switch off fires and heaters before going to bed
- Keep phones and keys nearby at bedtime
If there is a fire, get out of the house safely.
See the attached fire and safety illustration below by Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service.